Does this sound familiar?
You find a recipe you think sounds good but includes ingredients that just don’t work for you for one reason or another. This happens to me all the time as I avoid animal products and a few other things too.
Adapting a recipe to meet your needs is not difficult.
Here’s how quick and easy it is.
My latest find is a recipe which was originally for chicken and peanut butter curry. This definitely didn’t work for me as I don’t eat chicken or peanut butter! I simply omitted the chicken and peanut butter along with the oil and green beans, (I didn’t have any on hand), replacing them with chick peas, almond butter and cauliflower.
I slightly changed the preparation of the meal too.
My new customized creation is delicious, nutritious, and filling!
Quick and Easy Chick Pea & Almond Butter Curry
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T curry powder
- 1 15 oz. can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup crunchy almond butter
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch chunks
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 2 15 oz. cans chick peas, rinsed and drained
- ¾ tsp. sea salt
- Cook the onion in a large non-stick skillet until lightly browned, approximately 3 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and curry powder and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in tomatoes and water.
- Cook just below boiling for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and cut sweet potatoes, and steam until tender.
- Chop cauliflower, steam for about 5 minutes.
- After tomatoes are done simmering, add almond butter, stirring in until well combined.
- Add the chick peas, sweet potatoes and cauliflower to skillet, mixing in well.
- Sprinkle in up to ¾ tsp. of sea salt.
Eliminating the oil from this recipe is great for reducing fat and calories; however, nut butters are high in fat and calories too, making this dish more than filling.
In fact, eating a little less is probably a good idea.
Take note, any nut butter can be used — and if you (or someone in your family) is allergic to nuts, try sunflower butter! It will work as well as anything else.
Serve with a crisp, green salad and you have a meal for 6.